Sunday 17 March 2013

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Yesterday was an exciting day, I had arranged for my friends at the office to see one of my favourite musicals, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. This is one of the feel good musicals and has just about every emotion contained in it.

I was lucky enough to see the London production when it opened at the Palace Theatre in the West End and many times after that. It really was and is a couple of hours of pure escapism and leaves you on quite a high as you leave the theatre with your ticket stub and programme.

The above photo is the touring cast that I saw yesterday at the New Wimbledon Theatre. Jason Donovan was in the lead as Tick, a role he created in London. Although he has performed the role man times, he still seems a little uncomfortable in the role of a drag queen, whereas the other members of the cast seem to embrace it totally.

The tour has been around the UK and I understand there have been tours around the World. Although the tour is a scaled down version of the West End show, it is still a great show to see and there is still the star of the show, Priscilla in all her glory. Some of the songs have been changed to reflect the Broadway version of the show and I have to admit, I prefer the original songs, perhaps as I know them.

Of the show comes to a theatre near you, please go see it and enjoy the story that is placed before you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment